Try these simple ways to bring butterflies into your garden and yard areas for summer entertainment for you and your family.
As spring warms its way into summer, we see caterpillars crawling around looking for food. Try planting Spicebush to provide plenty of food for them.
Then before we know it, MAGIC! Butterflies are all around!
So…how can you bring butterflies into your garden?
Ways to attract butterflies to your yard are:
- Keep the area protected from heavy winds
- Limit pesticide use
- Select fragrant, summer flowering shrubs & perennials for nectar
- Have several plants for caterpillar food like the Spicebush
- Have a few flat surfaces for resting such as a large flat stone
- Provide shallow water sources
To attract your fair share of butterflies into your garden, plant shrubs and perennials that they enjoy such as buddleia (aka butterfly bushes), monarda, coneflowers, coreopsis, yarrow, Black-eyed Susans and Russian sage.
The Butterfly Garden Package from Greenwood Nursery is a great value and contains all the plants, from caterpillar food to butterfly food, that you need for butterfly attraction!
Greenwood Nursery, founded in 1978, is an online plant nursery and garden center that has been shipping gardening plants to the home gardener since going online in 1998.