The basic purpose of ground covers in hilly areas is to bind the nutrients and water in soil and prevent the soil from getting eroded. Ground covers are grown for variety of reasons which include protection from soil erosion, protection from drought as the soil soaks water for the cover plants and to improve the aesthetic appearance of the place. This is why cover plants are not only grown in gardens but also at the road sides as well as at the entrance or the unused corner of the home. There are varieties of ground covers and one of the broadleaf fast growing evergreen ground cover that grows easily and is very beautiful is Vinca.
Groundcovers are chosen by everybody because of the fact that they cover the areas which otherwise would have kept bare and dull. Vinca is one such fast growing ground cover which grows in your garden area for whole of the year. It falls into the perennial category of ground covers and are quite deep rooted plant. So before planting make sure that this is the place where you wash to grow it because it is very difficult to uproot it. Here are some of the properties of Vinca Periwinkle ground cover.
- ADAPTABLE TO ALL TYPES OF SOILS:This plant is adaptable to all types of soiled and therefore it is found in majority of areas. The best soil where it grows much faster is slightly acidic in nature and moist.
- HEIGHT: The reason why it is chosen as the groundcover is that its height barely reaches more than 4 inches which rules out the necessity of trimming them frequently.
- GROWING REGION: It is suitable for growing in fully sunny, semi-shaded and shaded regions as well. Periwinkle growth is most favourable in semi-shaded region. Vinca tops the list of shade loving ground covers.
- SPREAD: the plant is quite favourable to growth and therefore a small plant can spread to the area covering 8 feet. Thus you can grow a small plant depending upon the area where you want it to be spread. The Vinca vines keep on spreading and cover the ample area.
- WATER AND CARE: These plants require proper water and care. The weeds are to be removed periodically and they should be watered adequately so that they don’t dry up!
It is one such flowering ground cover which doesn’t conjure up the vision of boring green and plain foliage! The blue glittery flowers are very beautiful in sight and give a new colour to your garden. Vinca Minor is other species in this category which is best for shady regions and isgenerally grown in those areas which have poor or barren soil. But they can be used as a hedge and surround your garden space with Periwinkle blue blossoming flowers.
Vinca periwinkle ground cover is available at Greenwood Nursery Ground Covers at very reasonable price. Green wood nursery supplies potted plant as well as bare root which are packed professionally depending upon your requirement. You can book it online and it will be shipped at your doorstep within the mentioned time frame.